Monday, August 15, 2016

Like a Lightning Storm (part 1)

I LOVE the summer Olympics.  I always look forward to the gymnastics competitions.  It is amazing to see what these athletes are capable of, how they can twist, turn, stretch, and push their bodies to do extraordinary actions.

At the same time, it is a reminder at how fragile bodies can be.  It is the anniversary of one of the most terrifying times of my life.

I wrote this on my blog right after it happened…

That night started out as an ordinary evening spent with my family. We were talking and watching the Olympics. Then, I lay on the couch. For the next few minutes, I don’t remember anything. Mom said it looked like I was stretching, then got stuck that way. I started trembling. I was having a seizure. It lasted a minute or so, then I went unconscious. My face turned blue.  My parents called an ambulance. I didn’t wake up until the paramedic gave me oxygen. Then, he took blood, asking me basic questions, like where I go to school. My family tells me I was so disoriented I acted like a child, pushing the oxygen mask away, and complaining about them taking blood from my finger, and giggling about my answers to the questions. I don’t remember a thing. I remember them asking me a question about something right before getting into the car to go to the hospital. We were at the hospital for at least 3 hours. They did a brain scan, checked blood pressure, and did several other tests. All came back fine. We got back home past midnight and I slept almost all day afterwards, still having a headache.  Seizures are sometimes caused by stress, eating at unusual times, and/or caffeine.  I felt a little dizzy, not much, but then I was just out. I’ve never had anything like this happen to me since my stroke at birth.

It happened 8 years ago. 
I still have side effects, like migraines that come on so hard, I lose my vision for 30 seconds or more.  Thank goodness I’ve only been driving once when it happened, on a road with few cars and I could pull off real fast before I wrecked into something.  The meds really drain my energy.  Sometimes, my memory is not as good as it once was.

While in college exactly 2 months later, I had another one.  After that, I got put on epilepsy medicine (which I will probably be on the rest of my life because I was told after you have 2 seizures, there is a 50/50 chance that you could have another one in your life)  and was not allowed to drive for 6 months.

Someone once described a seizure like this- 



End part 1
Love,

Leslie

P.S. I know this was kinda dramatic, but a friend recently told me they had no idea that I had had a grand mal seizure (the most dramatic kind) which is funny because I was so open about it, yet felt so very alone at the time….and something pretty dramatic happened to a family member this year, and she had many react the same way people responded to me afterwards.  So, part 2 will be a "How to respond during a lightning storm in your friend's life".  Just hoping to help others in really crappy situations.



No comments:

Post a Comment