Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Remembering An Unbelievable Life

I had been working on a different post, but that can wait for now.
I want to honor and remember Riley’s pawpaw who passed away last week.

I only knew Jack Riley for 4 and a half years, but even in that short amount of time, he made me want to be a better person.  I never once heard anything negative about him.

All I heard was...
How unselfish he was.
How smart he was…his kids and grandkids went to him when the needed help, and he always had an answer
What a cool grandpa he was….including stories of letting the boys do fireworks and a newspaper accidentally catching on fire while babysitting haha…of course, that last one was kept from Riley’s mom for years!
When the grandkids were little they would run to him instead of their moms when they got an “owie” because he was so gentle and comforting
What a hard worker he was
What a great boss he was…his employees had such admiration for him, they affectionately called him “Daddy”.
How he never complained, even when his health got so bad the last few years (and Grandma never complained about taking care of him while he was bedridden for months)
How nobody saw him get angry

You always hear about unconditional love, but my mom-in-law said he really lived it out.  When trying to give information to the funeral speaker, my dad-in-law said he just wished he could get the speaker to understand how UNBELIEVABLE Jack Riley was.

I got to see just a small part of Pawpaw’s life.  He really was unbelievable.  I’ve never seen someone so loved, respected, and just absolutely ADORED by everyone I have ever seen him with.  The main reason Jack Riley was so unbelievable was because he knew an unbelievable Savior.  If you don’t know what that’s like, ask me please.

I hope people can say even a fraction of the good things said about Pawpaw, about me when I go to heaven.  I hope I can at least learn to possess the kind of love he had for others.

How will I be remembered?  What will be said about me?  What will be said about you? 

In these bodies we will live, in these bodies we will die
Where you invest your love, you invest your life
~MUMFORD AND SONS~


We look forward to the day we see Pawpaw again…
~Leslie~

No comments:

Post a Comment