Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Friends

“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what is made by the friends we choose.”
~TENNESSSEE WILLIAMS~


I’ve gotten to the point in my life where I know who my friends are.  I don’t feel the need to find more.  I know who my closest friends are.  I know who my best friend is.  Life can be difficult sometimes when you don't know these.  I've been there.  I've asked myself, "Who REALLY is there for me?"  "Who can I trust?"  "Who proves I can trust them?"  Who was around when life sucked AND never left when life sucked?"  And "Who am I REALLY trying to be there for?"  "Who trusts me?"  "What do I do that makes them trust me?" "How can I try to brighten someone's sucky day?"  "How do I be a better friend?"
These are some thoughts on friendship I've had over the last few years-

You should never feel the need to prove yourself to someone you consider one of your closest friends…
I recently took a step back from a friendship I had felt this way toward for years now.  This person once told me they felt they put way more into our relationship than I did, while I felt this person seemed more interested in giving an opinion and advice, than making memories with me.   
Communication is key.  Two people can be in the same relationship, and yet see it in two different ways.  Unfortunately, communication just wasn’t happening for some reason, and I felt all the blame was put on me…even though it’s a two way street.  It is so much more relaxing and freeing to finally accept that I have other friends who understand me better, and I don’t need to put so much pressure on myself to prove my worth to that one friend when we hang out.

Boundaries are always important in any relationship, but just shutting someone out if they don't know what you need at the time is never an appropriate boundary.

Don’t expect too much from people…you never know what’s going on behind the scenes of their life.  Remember that everyone has issues in their life, many that you can’t even see…so always keep realistic expectations, encouragement, and gentle words up FRONT in your mind.

 “True friendship is not about being there when it’s convenient, but being there when it isn’t”
If someone is only there for you in the way THEY deem best for you ALL the time, not in a way you ask or need, that’s not a good friend.  That’s someone who is patronizing and arrogant.  Again, boundaries are KEY.

“Don't just ignore the effort of a person who tries to keep in touch. People get tired. It's not at all times that they hold on.”
I will NOT be the only one putting effort into keeping life close between us. 

I have all different types of friends...some younger, some still in college, some single, some married, some parents, some older, some going through hard times, some smooth sailing. No matter what stage of life you're in, you are valued.

This is the attitude I pray to have toward my friends-
Colossians 3:12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. 14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 

I have been really encouraged by a few random texts and messages from friends thinking of me lately that have really blessed my life!  Thanks ya'll!

Love you friends,
~Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment