Monday, June 11, 2018

Momma

Someone recently shared this quote, “Parents must become a place of rest for their kids, a place where they might be restored” – Mark Gregston

I spent the past week at my parent’s house.  It was my mom’s birthday week.  During this week, she served me.  She took care of her grandchildren.  Because SHE WANTED TO.

This has been a crazy year of change for our family.  Even though it was hard and we miss a lot of sweet people, my Hubs and I moved our family away from the big city to a quieter life.  We are finding a new, sweet community.  We had our adorable second little girl.  We renovated a house.  It’s been good, but EXHAUSTING.

When so many people insisted “NOW is the time to do ALL the renovations on your house”, my mom is the one who drove 4 hours to help with the toddler while I was exhausted and dealing with morning sickness AND a foot injury that left me on crutches for a month.

When the renovations took much longer than they were supposed to, my mom is the one who offered to take our toddler home with her for several days (on several different occasions) so that my body, exhausted from a hard pregnancy, could get some rest.

When the house was not put together after we moved in because I was too far along in my pregnancy to do heavy lifting and unpacking, my mom was the one coming back into town and putting things away in the morning before the toddler woke up.  Then, playing with the toddler the rest of the day after she woke up.  This allowed Hubs and I to get extra rest before baby #2 arrived. 

She can see the WHOLE picture and the WHOLE family.  She saw that I was not being respected by others in our new community as a stay at home wife and mother.  She knew childcare was hardly ever offered.  To any older women reading this, I would encourage you to let your children know you enjoy them AND their children….It seemed as if everyone who encouraged Hubs to get it all done at the house, expected me to have “plenty of time” to pick up the mess all on my own that was left when it wasn’t finished before our second child arrived.

Just FYI, even on a stay-at-home mom’s laziest days, we’re still teachers, cooks, maids, and jungle gyms.  I did all of this for months while nauseous and exhausted while my husband was gone almost every evening and hours on the weekends working on the house.  He worked very hard and I’m proud of what he accomplished, but not many others recognized how hard this time was for me.  I tried to explain that it was so hard for me to handle with a toddler and difficult pregnancy, but I was usually cut off by someone saying “Well, NOW is the time to get it all done.”  Also, “Well, you should look for a Mother’s Day Out program.”  The whole reason we moved to a smaller community was to have more time with our husband/Daddy who had a 3 hour commute every day back in the big city.  We barely saw him then and now I had people encouraging him to continue doing large projects, leaving us alone day in and day out again.  If you’re going to do that, at least offer the rest of the family help!

When this was going on, my mom is the one who understood and prayed for me.  I was feeling gross, lacking energy, feeling guilty about putting my toddler in front of the TV when I could barely get off the couch, and missing my husband.

She understood because she was also a stay-at-home mom.  I’m so grateful.  I don’t know how I would’ve gotten through this last year without her.  I will forever be grateful for the extra time I got with her while I was growing up. The education, support, and encouragement I received from her choosing to stay home with her children will forever be some of my greatest treasures.  I know this is my calling too.  It is hard, but I’ve seen the rewards through my mother’s hard work and I look forward to the challenge.  I just never knew I would feel so alone in my role when I moved away from my mom.

After my trip, I came home this weekend to several rooms in our house finally put together because my sweet Hubs got help from his parents while the little ones and I were away.  It was a nice surprise to feel as if my needs were finally seen.





-Leslie

P.S.  This was an appreciation post for my mom and everything I feel like I gained from her being a stay at home mom….and how much I appreciate her understanding as I have felt like many around me don’t respect my role.  There are a lot more people than I realized who do not respect the work and everyday life of a stay at home mom and wife.  However this was, in no way, a dis on moms who choose to work and care for a family at the same time.  I have so much respect for these women too.  This post just isn’t about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment